×

Not just another beauty blog...

The Hunger Games Film Review

Hello there!




So, last Friday I spent the day getting increasingly excited about going to see The Hunger Games and was sure to pre-book a couple of days in advance because I thought it would be jam-packed! It wasn't. Myself and my boyfriend went to the 8 o'clock showing and I would say it was no more than 40% full, which surprised me. But that doesn't really matter that much. What matters is, what is the film like?

Well, having read all three of the books in the space of about 2 weeks I was going with an open mind because they always say a film will never be as good as the book, and to some extent I agree. First of all, let me say that I think it would be good for me to go and see it for a second time, because I seemed to spend a lot of the film thinking about whether what was happening was the same as in the book and wondering if said boyfriend was understanding what was going on (not that he's a bit simple or anything! Just that he hadn't read them). So I think a second watch would be good so I could really concentrate on the film on its own, as opposed to an interpretation of the book, if that makes sense! 


Overall, however, I did really enjoy it and thought that not only was it very true to the book and followed it almost exactly (only a couple of changes which didn't really make that much difference) but that it was also cast very well. Jennifer Lawrence, who plays the main character Katniss Everdeen, was, in my opinion, perfect. Very strong willed and gorgeous, but not in an obviously girly, pretty way. And the same with almost all the other characters apart from Haymitch, who I had always imagined to be an overweight, short, balding man but, to my surprise, was cast with Woody Harrelson, who is most definitely not any of those things. It was probably my mistake, as I'd imagined him to be a lot older than he was portrayed in the film, so I probably just missed that bit of timescale in the book. 

Apart from that though, I would definitely recommend going to see it whether or not you've read the book beforehand because the story is very interesting and really makes you think about what they're portraying. If you want a basic plot outline you can take a look at my review of the book here. Neither my boyfriend or my parents, who went to see it the day after, have read any of them and they all said they enjoyed it and that it was easy to follow. Also, the fight scenes are done in a way that you can't really see that much of what's going on, so I would say it would be suitable for any young teenagers who've read the books as well. 

I would give it at least a 7.5 out of 10, but a second viewing would definitely help to confirm that! Have any of you seen it? What did you think? Compared to the book? 


No comments

Copyright © Sophie ElgarCREATED BY ThemeShine